Céad míle fáilte! This weekend festivities will transcend the globe in celebration of St Patrick patron Saint of Ireland. I have been trying out a few green drinks in honour of St Patrick.
Each year on the 17th March the world unites in green to celebrate St Patrick’s Day. According to tradition wearing green makes you invisible to leprechauns, they apparently sneak up on you if you are not wearing green to pinch you. So make sure this St Patrick’s day you wear something green or you might find yourself being pinched by a leprechaun.
Whilst the Guinness & rivers flow green, and although my normal tipple is Champagne, I have been trying out a few cocktails with an Irish theme (colour and contents).
The Whiskey Sour
- 2 oz Whiskey
- 1 ½ oz fresh lemon juice
- 1 oz Syrup
- Cherry for garnish
- Pour all the ingredients into a cocktail shaker with ice, shake well and strain into a glass Garnish with a cherry
I added a couple of ice cubes to keep it cool, and have found it works great as an aperitif.
- 2 oz Vodka
- 1 oz apple schnapps
- 1 oz melon liqueur
- Squeeze lemon juice
- Place the vodka, schnapps and melon liqueur in an ice-filled shaker. Shake well, then strain into a cocktail glass. Add a squeeze of lemon juice. Garnish with a thin slice of green apple.
- Tip: To prevent apple
slicesturning brown, toss them in lemon juice.
I am usually not a big fan of anything “
- 2 oz Irish whiskey
- 1 tablespoon crème de menthe (green)
- 1 tablespoon Chartreuse (green)
- Olive for garnish
- Pour the ingredients into a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake well. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with an olive.
- Tip: Olive and whiskey may sound like a strange combination but it works well here
I will be honest and say this one isn’t my favourite it is too menthol for my liking, but it is certainly “green”. I will probably tweak the measurements when I try this one in the future.
- 1/2 0z. Kahlua
- 1/2 oz. Frangelico
- 1/2 oz. Vodka
- 1/2 0z. Baileys Irish Cream
- 1/2 oz. Butter Shots
- Add all ingredients together shake with ice and serve in a martini glass.
This is my favourite and is perfect as a digestif, it is so smooth and not overpowering.
Will you be enjoying a pint or two of the green stuff (Guinness) or sampling one of the cocktails mentioned? Do you have a favourite “green” cocktail? Let me know your tipple in the comments below, or over on Twitter.
Have a great weekend – Sláinte!